Mr. S

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Thing #20: You tube and beyond.

I love this part of the movie.  I however now know this is poor teaching.  We must actively engage the students to achieve ownership of the material and this clip is a perfect example of students not engaged.  YouTube can be a resource for chemistry teachers in the demonstrations of chemical reactions that are far too dangerous to be performed near fragile young minds.  It also is a way for students to hear someone else say exactly the same way just through a different medium.  I have on countless time been asked can you explain that another way and I will get another student to restate it and walla.  Ownership by not only the person asking, but the person teaching.  It truly is wonderful when ever that happens.  YouTube would just allow another way to differentiate during those teaching moments.
When exploring other sites I noticed that vine was there.  Many of the students I now teach love this app.  They use it for the wrong reasons, but could be steered in the informational area with a little proding.  I found these vines that show various chemical reactions. These demonstrations can instill a sense of wonder to a future life long learner.  Would it not be wonderful to be the person who used technology of a demonstration to promote the next doctor or researcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment